Recently Amazon has quietly begun to roll out some exciting new developments for your product page.
One is which I think will be a huge game changer for the folks who are first implementers is
Amazon is starting to allow product videos or as they are calling them “ Enhanced Brand Content Videos or EBC for short on product pagers.
“Enhanced Brand Content videos allow you to upload a video to the main image block of your detail pages. In addition to giving you a powerful, new way to communicate your products and brand”
Right now Amazon is allowing this for most brand registered sellers , to see if you have access check your product dashboard and see if you have the ability to add videos, you can also contact Amazon to see if you are eligible.
Originally this was by invite only although we are beginning to see quite a few clients who are just have the ability to ad videos without any notification.
We suspect this will be available to everyone very shortly even if you are not brand registered. So check you page and see if you have access.
How well does a product video help conversion rates? Some studies show that a buyer is 144% more likely to purchase a product if that page has a product video than those that did not!
That is a huge advantage and now imagine if you are the first in your category to place a product video on you Amazon sales page?
I think this will quite an advantage for the folks who are first to the gate.
Currently Amazon does not have a ton of guidelines for what they consider a good product video but I will go over some of the few Do’s and Don’ts information Amazon has supplied.
And I have included some information supplied directly from amazon on video formats and also guidelines for things you should avoid to stay compliant .
For this particular kind of video, we have seen great results with demonstration style videos,
Videos that show the product being used and if done effectively makes the user imagine themselves using the product.
For example if you are selling a knife sharpener possibly you could make a video showing a family Thanksgiving gathering and sharpening the knife before cutting the thanksgiving turkey.
Or sharpening the a knife before preparing a dinner and then dicing a bunch of carrots really fast. “Because the knife is so sharp”
And then support the video with text that talks about the products benefits.
“Sharpens you knives in seconds”
“Easy to use”
“ Knives stay sharp longer”
You get the picture.
Lets go over a few things Amazon does not allow in a product video.
In general I think Amazon just wants to keep the level of hype to a minimum.
So a lot of this is “Just do good” common sense
Don’t make false claims
Or claim exclusivity
Don’t bash the competition
Or make hyphy promotional statements like “on sale” or “cheap” or “ affordable”
Here are a few guidelines to follow when creating and submitting product videos to Amazon
EBC video guidelines, Introduction to the EBC video feature:
• The EBC video feature enables you to upload one video to the main image block of your detail page, as long as it follows the guidelines below. The uploaded video will also appear in the “Related video shorts” widget on the detail page.
Avoiding the content policy violations below will increase the chance that your content is approved:
• References to your company as a seller or distributor, or any company contact information.
• Comparing products on Amazon other than products from leading national brands or from within your own brand or mentioning any seller authorization, such as “product only sold by authorized sellers”
• Pricing or promotion information such as “cheap,” “affordable,” “on sale,” etc.
• Information about shipping details, such as “free shipping” or “shipping timelines”
• Boastful comments such as “top-selling product,” “hottest item,” or “#1 selling item”.
• Time-sensitive product information, such as “on sale now” or “best new product of the year”.
• Information about Customer reviews, ratings, or feedback on Amazon or any other website.
• Adding more than two editorial quotes or any third party quotes not from well known publications or public figures.
• Warranties or guarantees of any kind, such as “satisfaction guaranteed” or “money back”.
• Multiple brand logos in a single video view.
• Web links or language intended to redirect customers to other web pages inside or outside of Amazon (including to other product listings you might have).
• Any mention of products being used for criminal activity.
• Videos for adult products or containing offensive content such as nudity, profanity, or illegal activities.
• Videos for which you don't own the rights, leading to copyright infringement.
Recommended video specifications:
• We recommend uploading files in the highest available quality setting. We accept files in the following formats: 3GP, AAC, AVI, FLV, MOV, MP4, and MPEG-2. We are currently unable to process Apple ProRes files.
• For your video's thumbnail image, upload the highest quality image files in JPEG or PNG format, with the following specifications: 16:9 orientation/aspect ratio; 1920 x 1080 preferred resolution (minimum 1280 x 720); color profile RGB or DPI 300 preferred (72 minimum).
I think you will be hearing quite a bit more on Amazon product videos and we will be writing more about them as the information comes out.
Amazon is rolling out product videos currently to brand registered sellers and most likely everyone in the near future.
So in summary:
A well made Amazon product video will greatly increase sales and conversions to your product page.
Demonstration style videos listing product benefits work great for this style video
And finally make sure you review Amazons ever evolving criteria for creating product videos
Are you ready to start increasing sales and conversions using video? Schedule a time to chat with us. We never try to sell you, we just answer all your questions and let our videos and pricing sell themselves!
Pick a time to chat with us -> Click here to pick a time